Friday, April 19, 2013

Tasting #29 - Crane Lake Petite Sirah

Name: Crane Lake
Variety: Petite Sirah
Region: Napa and Sonoma, CA
Country: USA
Year: 2011
Price: $5

Wine Blog Review:  Inky, almost black, purple in color with aromas of blackberry jam. In the mouth, the wine is soft and very fruity with blueberry pie filling flavors a bit of white pepper. Some might consider this to be too simple and slightly flabby, but I think it’s varietally correct and a stunning value.

My Review: The wine was very dark in color, like an deep purple. On the nose I got a black cherry aroma. The taste was sweet with some tart cherries in there too. It was pretty tannic, medium-bodied, and finished smoothly with no alcoholic taste what so ever. I really liked this wine! It had the body of a red wine and for the same price I usually get a wine with a hot finish but that was not the case with this wine. I'd rate this wine a 9.5 out of 10.

This wine was tasted with dark chocolate and it was good!! The wine flavors changed. More fruit was present and the tannins were reduced which balanced the wine wonderfully. The dark chocolate taste was also altered. Dark chocolate is usually bitter but the wine got rid of all of that and brought out the sweetness of the chocolate. I would highly recommend trying dark chocolate with this wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment