Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tasting #15 - Black Opal Cabernet Merlot

Name: Black Opal
Variety: 52% Cabernet Sauvignon, 48% Merlot
Region: Barossa Valley
Country: Australia
Year: 2010
Price: $6

Wine Shop Review: The aromas display excellent regional and varietal characters of berry and spice. These scents follow through with rich cherry and plum flavors, a hint of chocolate and a subtle touch of oak. The flavors develop well and finish with a long finely textured mouth feel.

My Review: This wine was dark red in color. On the nose there was strong aromas of black cherry. The taste was sweet upfront with raspberries. It finished hot and dry with a lingering taste. Overall I enjoyed this wine but it wasn't a favorite.

This wine was tasted at a dinner with lasagna. I felt paired fairly well. I didn't notice as much of a balance of wine and food taste as I did with the Shiraz I wrote about in tasting #14.

No comments:

Post a Comment