Saturday, March 23, 2013

Tasting # 24 - Robert Mondavi Pinot Noir

Name: Robert Mondavi Private Selection
Variety: Pinot Noir
Region: San Joaquin, CA
Country: USA
Year: 2011
Price: $11

Wine Review: Starting with a nose of wild cherries and sage, that carry into the flavors of the wine. Once the first sip hits the mouth the magic begins, layers of black fruit, smokey oak, and plums marry together and become a silky smooth tasting experience. The finish layers the oak and jammy notes together seamlessly with a touch of the oak resurfacing.

My Review: This wine is a dark red, crimson color. On the nose I got a jammy cherry, blackberry aroma with just a hint of spice. When I tasted it without food it seemed a little tannic which covered up some of the flavors. After tasting it with the lasagna I noticed a huge decrease in the tannic component and a increase in the fruit flavors. I was able to detect the cherry and blackberry flavors much better. This is the second pinot noir I've done a tasting on and this one was much better. I'd rate it a 8 out of 10.

This wine was tasted at dinner with lasagna.

No comments:

Post a Comment